Thursday, September 24, 2009

Green & Yellow

flowers in the sunflower
What inspires your creativity?

This Autumn, I am finding terrific inspiration from the flowers within the flower.  Okay, so they are called sunflowers.  Have you ever really looked at a sunflower?  The center where the seeds are look like thousands of tiny flowers, the big yellow petals, well, they look like a skirt or maybe saffron dyed silk.  How about the leaves of a giant sunflower?  They seem to support more bug life than anyother plant around.  

I have a neigbor who has sunflowers growing everywhere.  The really cool thing is, she has planted a number of varieties which have leant themselves to much observation on my part.  My favorites are the giant sunflowers.  They are so big and happy looking.  She has also planted some smaller bushier looking plants and even some with burgundy in them. 

The green and yellow of the sunflowers are peaking my interest.  Which leads into the next thought.  Did you know that in Oregon, we have a civil war going.  The U of O Ducks vs. the OSU Beavers.  Coincidentally the Ducks colors are yellow and green.  I have a number of football fan friends who are fanatic about the Ducks.  Since I get to watch their faces get all animated when they talk about the Ducks, maybe I can come up with something as fun/funny as they are.  I have been picturing some yellow and green enameled jewelry. 

I plan to get to the beavers too, since there are equally as many fanatical beaver fans as duck fans, most of them happen to be related to me.  What do you think?  Maybe some black and orange enamel?  It is so fun for me to watch my football fanatic friends, it makes me wish I knew what the heck the rules of the game are so I can jump up and down and get all excited too. 

For now I will leave you with a picture of my newly designed sunflower pendant.  It's about the size of a dime and is, as you have already guessed, inspired by the giant sunflowers down the road.  I made it out of sterling silver and copper.  It can also be seen on my etsy site.  http://www.myred2lips.etsy.com/



May your days be full of jumping up and down with excitement!
Rikki

No comments:

Post a Comment